Mary, Mary...

Saturday, June 23, 2012












quite contrary. How does your garden grow? Since moving to Portland, I have switched from growing food to growing flowers. I hate dealing with pests and I am in constant conflict with letting them live or blasting them to their death. The other major reason is the damn Beagle. That Beagle eats anything I plant. She has already eaten every ripe blueberry, golden raspberry and strawberry within her reach. Yesterday I caught her jumping up to the top branches at an attempt to reach the last juicy, tender and sweet golden raspberries. She has learned to shake the tomato pots to free ripe fruit into her gaping jaws. She will even take a stab at the chiles, last summer the garden was strewn with partially eaten peppers, Habaneros, Purple Peruvians, Giant Jalapenos. I only have so much elevated space...So, this year? This is how my garden grows...

4 comments:

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Pardon me for giggling, but .... a fruit-eating beagle?
You are wise, it seems to me. Although I once had a pit-bull mix that bit off my roses.

Alberta Art Classes said...

Yes! A berry eating Beagle. She is a hoot. She was in heaven when we had the Mulberry Tree in L.A.. Once, she even growled viciously at me while I was picking raspberries as if to warn that that there bush belonged to her!

Wrinkling Daily said...

The posey photos are oh so pretty. And the visual of the tomato gulping pup, was too much. This is a great post. Followed you over from Divorceville...

Wrinkling Daily said...

The posey photos are oh so pretty. And the visual of the tomato gulping pup, was too much. This is a great post. Followed you over from Divorceville...